After several weeks sidelined due to injury, Marko Jevtovic was back in action for a midweek cup fixture and showed he is still a trusted performer.
He doubled Partizan lead from the spot in a 3-0 cup win against third-tier Rtanj and soon after we chatted with this midfielder about his injury, Dynamo Kiyv game, his penalty goal and what loies ahead for him.
– Before this injury, I played away to Napredak and Young Boys while my last home game was against Videoton. Doctor Ilija Rosic would tell you about my injury from his expert angle, I can only tell you I had a knee pain, the actual bone crack, but I kept playing until it proved too much. Thank God, it`s all gone now with help from our medical team and renowned physio specialist Andra Milutinovic.
How did you feel being sidelined?
– It`s always so hard watching games without being able to help your team. I started playing again and I can only wish all of us as less injuries as possible. Injured play is of no use. It`s hard for both team and player.
You marked your return scoring from the spot. Did you insist on taking the penalty-kick yourself?
– I`m first or second on the list of penalty takers quite often. This was the first time I topped the list and we got the penalty-kick. Mind you, in my previous club I scored from the spot in one very important game against our bitter rival. There are lots of quality players in Partizan so anyone who plays has a certain quality for the benefit of the team.
Some were quick to point out you were the one who was sorely missed in a game against Dynamo Kyiv.
– Unfortunately, that game ended bad for us but we move forward with lots to play for. Two seasons ago we had 6 points after two EL games, played great but got eliminated at the end. We must not drop more points anywhere, starting from Surdulica away. Our ambition is clear – everything but a win is out of question.
After Surdulica, team travels to Albania for a EL meeting with Skenderbeu.
– If we want to go through, we have to start winning. Every team that qualified for EL group stage has quality and that`s going to be very tough away game for us. I`m sure their fans will make a lots of noise too. But, we are Partizan and we played many games in such atmosphere.